Thursday, October 6, 2011

Week 6 Post

This week, we dove into the Common English Bible and looked at Mark's gospel. I really enjoyed reading this section because it gives me a good idea on how everything got started, and the Common English Bible really puts the texts in an easy, readable manner. Mark's gospel begins with the passage of John's preaching, where John tells us that "one stronger than I am is coming after me (Jesus)" (61). This foreshadows Jesus' coming and although we do not see a birth story in this particular gospel, this baptism by John serves as the point where we now know that Jesus has been deemed the Son of God. Mark then moves on to explain Jesus' message and God's good news. Jesus rounds up his disciples and begins to perform miracles in order to show everyone that he is divine. Mark's gospel continues with account after account where Jesus displays things like his healing power, his power to draw out demons, and his will to forgive. These instances are a good reminder for me, as they certify Jesus' role and what I believe in. The Son of God is a symbol for Christians alike myself, as a way of showing us what it means to be Christian. To love, forgive, and help are to be Christian and we can see this in Jesus' teachings at the beginning of Mark's gospel.

Mark goes on to tell us about Jesus' life and how all the good he performed allowed for everyone to believe that he truly was the Son of God. In Mark, we see Jesus as a visionary and a leader. This gospel successfully shows readers the beginning of Jesus' life and how the lessons and morals that could be pulled from his actions are proof that he is the Savior. Mark does a good job at exemplifying the good in Jesus and I find this particular gospel to be my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment