Sunday, September 18, 2011

Week 3 Post

  In this week's readings we discussed Jesus, and how the image of God is reflected through Jesus' actions. In Marcus Borg's, Jesus, he makes important claims as to what Jesus is in the eye of a Christian. He claims, "Jesus reveals, discloses, what can be seen of God in a human life and what a life filled with God looks like" (Borg 6). I fully agree with Borg's claim because in my mind, Jesus is simply an extension of God, in human form. What we see through the actions and teachings of Jesus are: passion, character, nature, and will, which is exactly what God intends on us to see. Throughout Jesus' lifetime certain events such as the sermon on the mount or the turning of water to wine give us concrete examples to understand the true divinity of the robed man. Take Jesus' crucifixion. He was put to death, He rose again, and in doing so, He solidified Christianity. In reality, we are all sinners; however, God still loves all. When we sin, whether we know it or not, we want to be forgiven. God cannot and will not forgive us unless an atonement is made. The crucifixion of Jesus serves as this atonement and therefore, we can be forgiven by God. This is the basis of Christianity and this belief is very strong in my mind.  
 
    This weeks readings made me think again about what I believed Jesus to be. I knew, as the son of God, Jesus' divinity was strong and what he stood for was what God would stand for. Knowing this, I look deeper into myself and make sure that the qualities God would agree with are present in my everyday life. I am proud to be a Christian and if I do not practice my beliefs the way God would, I would be doing a disrespect; so therefore, I will continue to live with passion, character, and good nature and will.

No comments:

Post a Comment